Sunday, August 13, 2023

Book Review: Better than the Movies



 Better than the Movies by Lynn Painter



Quote:
"I fell in love with teasing you in the second grade, when I first discovered that I could turn your cheeks pink with just a word. Then I fell in love with you."

Blurb: Liz Buxbaum has always known Wes Bennett was not boyfriend material. You would think that her next-door neighbor would be a prime candidate for her romantic comedy fantasies, but Wes has only proven himself to be a pain in the butt, ever since they were little. Wes was the kid who put a frog in her Barbie Dreamhouse, the monster who hid a law gnome's severed head in her little homemade neighborhood book exchange. 

Flash forward ten years from the Great Gnome Decapitation. Its Liz's senior year, a time meant to be rife with milestones perfect for any big screen, and she needs Wes's help. See, Liz's forever crush, Michael, has just moved back to town, and- horribly, annoyingly- he's hitting it off with Wes. Meaning that if Liz wants Michael to finally notice her, and hopefully be her prom date, she needs Wes. He's her in.

But as Liz and Wes scheme to get Liz her magical prom moment, she's shocked to discover that she actually likes being around Wes. And as they continue to grow close, she must reexamine everything she thought she knew about love- and rethink her own perception of what Happily Ever After should really look like. 


My Personal Views: If you are someone who absolutely loves rom-com movies like, 10 things I hate about you, when Harry met Sally, 500 Days of Summer, How to lose a guy in 10 days, etc. like myself, then this is the perfect book for you. 

This book CARRIED the enemies-to-lovers trope. You know that trope where the female lead thinks that the male lead hates her and she hates him too but in truth, the male lead has been in love with her all his life. If you LOVE that trope, then this book IS FOR YOU!

I can not explain it enough how good this book was, but throughout the whole book while reading I was smiling goofily that probably I might have made a fool of myself whenever I had been reading it in public. However, my favorite part in the whole book was WES BENNETT.

Oh, my adorable golden retriever energy, Wessy Boy <3

He is my favorite character in the whole book of course. I mean, how can one not fall in love with Wes?? That man is the goal, ladies. 

The book was great but what I think personally, would have made this book just perfect would probably if we would have gotten Wes's point of view as well instead of only Liz's. We do get some of his point of view in the 'Better than the Prom' book however, it just wasn't enough for me, I feel. Also, I don't know if you have read it or not (I personally would think you're an idiot if you have not read it yet), but we got to see jealous Wes!!??? Man is so dreamy. 

This book is very wholesome, trust me. Sorry for all the fangirling over Wes Bennett, but he is pretty impressive. 

We also have this book's sequel coming out next year, for which I cannot wait enough. Would be getting my hands on that book as soon as it releases for real. Also, I have a feeling that we would be getting a movie of this book pretty soon, I don't know why.

Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/ 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Normal People by Sally Rooney

Normal People by Sally Rooney Quote: "Most people go though their whole lives, Marianne thought, without ever really feeling that close...