Sunday, October 2, 2022

Book Review: Looking for Alaska





Looking for Alaska by John Green.


Quote: "We are all going. McKinley said to his wife, and we sure are. There's your labyrinth of suffering. We are all going. Find your way out of that maze."


Plot: Miles Halter in search of his great perhaps goes to a boarding school in Alabama, where he meets a girl named Alaska Young. She is reckless and screwed up which draws him to her. Miles makes friends and finds himself doing things he has never done before. Miles didn't even know it but his life had changed the moment he met Alaska Young.  

My Personal Views: Now, from the plot written above, it might look like a very romantic book, which it kind of is but it is still so much more than that. This is book is about friendship, life, teenagers, and death. Everything that I love in a book, to be honest. 

Oh my god, when I read John Green's The Fault in our stars, I knew he was a fantastic writer but to write his first book this amazing? God, John Green is something else. The way he writes is just out of this world. He wrote the facts of life so beautifully in the book. 

This book was beautiful.

Even though, I could not find the chemistry between Alaska and Miles that much (which I get was not the point of the whole story). But the quotes, which I always crave in a book, were so great, so beautiful. I was in awe of the writing and the words. 

There was a lot of talk about death in the book, which is an interesting topic in itself, and the way Green described the different facets and facts of life was commendable. I read somewhere, some reviewers had written that they wished they were young when they read the book but I disagree. I am 21 and I found the book just as much interesting and life-changing as I would have if I was a teenager.   

I had read Will Grayson, Will Grayson of John Green after reading The Fault in our stars, but unfortunately, I found it too boring for my taste so I was a bit hesitant while purchasing this book. But honestly, this one was so worth it.

Stars: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/ 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Normal People by Sally Rooney

Normal People by Sally Rooney Quote: "Most people go though their whole lives, Marianne thought, without ever really feeling that close...