Saturday, August 17, 2024

Book Review: Powerful "A Heart-Wrenching Novella"

 

Powerful by Lauren Roberts


Quote: 

"She is an intoxicating sort of exhausting, like running until you've lost your breath but enjoying the feeling all the while. And I feel as though I've been sprinting for days. Even worse, I fear that I am, in fact, beginning to enjoy her."   

 

Blurb:   Adena and Paedyn have always been inseparable. Fate brought them together when they were young, but friendship ensured they would always protect each other and the home they built in the slums of Loot. But now Paedyn - an Ordinary - has been selected for the Purging Trials, which means almost certain death.

Now alone in Loot, Adena must fend for herself. After attempting to steal, it's a mysterious man from the market who comes to her rescue. Mak's shadowy past and secretive power set him apart from the other low- level Elites of Loot. And as the pair team up to see their loved ones before the Trials, the quest tests their loyalty, their love, and their lives. 


Book Tropes: 

  • Romance Fantasy (Romantasy)
  • Grumpy MMC
  • Sunshine FMC
  • Young-Adult
  • Short Novella
  • Strong FMC


My Personal Views:  If reading "Powerless" by Lauren Roberts left you heartbroken (the author of Powerful as well) and you would like to have someone stomp all over your broken-heart to make it worse, then I would recommend that you should definitely read "Powerful".

To have read the- completely unwanted- end in the Powerless book, I was sad. However, to know our little Adena had someone else in her life except for Paedyn. A someone - for whom she is "tripping" in love and, getting to know that Mak - who reciprocates those feelings - only to face another undeserved ending was devastating. Gosh, it broke me. 

I was literally in tears—no exaggeration—crying my eyes out and sobbing.

The pain Lauren Roberts has given me knows no bounds. 

The chemistry between Adena and Mak was captivating, embodying the "opposites attract" trope beautifully. Their relationship added a sweet, engaging dynamic to the narrative.

However, given how much I adored the writing in "Powerless," I had higher expectations for "Powerful." While I still appreciated Roberts' expressive style, some parts felt reminiscent of a Wattpad story, and a few moments even made me cringe. At times, it seemed like the author was trying too hard to make simple words sound profound, and the editing could have been much better.

Despite these critiques, the heartbreaking ending left a significant impact on me. And, not to sound masochistic, but I do love a story that can make me cry. "Powerful" succeeded in doing just that.

Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/ 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Normal People by Sally Rooney

Normal People by Sally Rooney Quote: "Most people go though their whole lives, Marianne thought, without ever really feeling that close...