Sunday, July 14, 2024

Shatter Me #1 by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


Quote: 

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books. In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

 

Blurb: A fragile teenage girl is held captive. Locked in a cell by The Reestablishment, a harsh dictatorship in change of a crumbling world. But Juliette is no ordinary teenager - one touch from her can kill. 

The Reestablishment wants to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has other plans. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovered the strength to fight back - and to find a future with the one person she thought she'd lost forever... 


Book Tropes: 

  • Dystopian Setting
  • Love Triangle
  • Friends to Lovers
  • Found Family
  • Tortured Heroine


My Personal Views: Many books recommended by the Bookstagram and BookTok communities have been five-star reads or at least satisfying for me. However, the first book in the "Shatter Me" series fell short of those expectations.

For me, personally it felt like this first book in the nine long book series, had a whole lot of world building. While it's understandable that a lengthy series requires extensive setup, the execution wasn't compelling enough for me to go and buy the second book of the series.

Another issue was the portrayal of the main male lead as a villain (which I know due to spoilers). And the romantic lead is someone else in this first book which was a disappointing turn, however the lack of chemistry between even them made the story hard to enjoy.  

I don't know what will happen in the next books, however the fact that the main male lead (who is not the romantic prospect in the first book) has done nothing but make the female main lead suffer and yet the female lead is idiotic enough to have "some kind" of feeling towards him is something that I just wasn't able to understand. 

Her character also came across as quite whiny. Additionally, the author's writing style didn't appeal to me, despite the warning at the beginning of the book.

Overall, the book was just not my cup of tea.

Ratings: ⭐/ 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Normal People by Sally Rooney

Normal People by Sally Rooney Quote: "Most people go though their whole lives, Marianne thought, without ever really feeling that close...