Monday, December 25, 2023

Book Review: Turtles all the way down

Turtles All The Way Down by John Green


Quote: "Most adults are just hollowed out. You watch them try to fill themselves up with booze or money or God or fame or whatever they worship, and it all rots them from the inside until nothing is left but the money or booze or God they thought would save them."


Blurb: Sixteen-Year-Old-Aza is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend and a good student. She's also trying to track down fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, who has vanished without a trace. Alongside her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, Aza sets off in pursuit of the truth- and a $100,000 reward.

The trail leads them to Pickett's son, Davis, a sometime friend of Aza's who might have the clues they need. But as her compulsive thought spirals take an ever-tighter grip on her mind, Aza finds herself struggling to keep her investigation- and her life- from falling apart.


My Personal Views: Reading John Green's books is almost always a pleasure. While I don't have specific favorite authors, John Green is definitely up there as someone I really like. So far, I've read four of his books, The Fault In Our Stars, Looking For Alaska, Will Grayson Will Grayson, and most recently, Turtles All The Way Down.

I loved The Fault in our Stars and Looking for Alaska, but unfortunately the same can not be said about Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Before delving into this particular book, that is, Turtles All The Way Down, I found myself anticipating another installment of John Green's signature portrayal of overly dramatic teenagers. 


To be frank, Turtles All The Way Down was not my cup of tea overall. Even though I didn't connect with it, the way Aza's struggles were portrayed was impressive. I was so immersed in her point of view that I even got a headache at one point. It made me think about what people who can relate to Aza go through in their daily lives.

One thing I can't figure out is how John Green consistently creates unique and impactful endings for his books. While Will Grayson, Will Grayson isn't very vivid or memorable to me, the other three books I've read had such impactful and perfectly crafted conclusions that I'm always in awe of Green's knowledge and writing style.

Although Turtles All The Way Down didn't become another one of my John Green favorites, I can confidently say it left a strong impact with its perfect ending.

Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐/ 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Normal People by Sally Rooney

Normal People by Sally Rooney Quote: "Most people go though their whole lives, Marianne thought, without ever really feeling that close...